18th BIENNIAL EUROPEAN CONFERENCE OF SMDM
Linking Research to Evidence-Based Action for Patients, Providers and Policy Decision Makers
21-23 May 2023, Berlin, Germany.
Extended deadline for submission of issue panel proposals is Monday, 6 February 2023, at 23:59 (CET)
All submissions will be reviewed by the Conference Committee and notifications will be sent out by late March 2023.
Issue Panels are highly interactive sessions with up to three short presentations, aimed at stimulating debate and discussion. Duration is 1 hour 15 minutes, with a maximum of 45 minutes devoted to presentations. Issue Panels address issues in Medical Decision Making for which the knowledge is scant, debate is widespread, or new insights have recently emerged.
To assure a lively and inspiring debate, panelists should be from different institutions and/or work environments representing diverse backgrounds (gender, geographic, expertise and experience, etc.) and perspectives on the debate. Panelists should present distinct views on the topic.
PRESENTATION OF ACCEPTED PROPOSALS
- All speakers and moderator must disclose conflicts of interest or perceived conflicts of interests at the time of the Issue panels. Speakers will be asked to include a slide at the beginning of the presentation disclosing potential conflicts of interest or stating that there were no conflicts.
- All speakers and moderators must register for and attend the European Conference. Speakers are responsible for expenses associated with the submission and presentation of an Issue panel.
- Use of product brand names is not permitted.
- Use of trademarks or registered service marks for any organization without their permission (except for clinical citations) will not be permitted. This includes but is not limited to the following examples: American Society of Clinical Oncology®, ASCO®, American Society of Hematology®, ASH®, San Antonio Breast Conference Symposium®, SABCS®, American Society of Microbiology®, ASM®, ICAAC®, DDW®, AASLD®, AGA®, ASGE®, SSAT®. A trademark can only be used to describe an event (e.g., Colorectal Cancer Report from the 40th Annual Meeting of the American Society of Clinical Oncology). These trademarks must be used as narrowly as possible to avoid any confusion that the activity is sponsored by or associated in any way with such organizations or their events.
- Objectivity and fair balance mean that recommendations or emphasis must fairly represent, and be based on, a reasonable and valid interpretation of the information available on the subject (e.g., "On balance the data support the following."). A balanced view of therapeutic options also means that no single product or service is over-represented in the educational activity when other equal but competing products or services are available for inclusion.
- For slide presentations and print materials each slide or key teaching point must state the kind of trial that demonstrates the data being discussed. Slides are not required to state, for example, "Level 1 evidence" (although it is acceptable to include it), but slides are required to include a statement, for example, "Systematic review of 35 RCTs..." or "Case-controlled trial..." that supports what is being discussed and presented within each slide. This is a conventional approach in the tradition of evidence-based medicine and may be viewed at the Oxford Centre for Evidence-Based Medicine.
SUBMISSION PROCESS OVERVIEW
- Please complete the survey and submit to SMDM no later than Monday, 23 January 2023, at 23:59 (CET).
- Provide a title for the Issue Panel, the names of the moderator, as well as of 2-3 panelists, with affiliations, country, and email addresses.
- A short description of 400 words maximum is required.
- Issue Panel will be evaluated by the Conference Committee based on the entirety of submitted content (proposed Issue Panels proposal and associated talks).
- Description: In 400 words or less, please provide a brief description of the Issue Panel.
- Enter contact information for each person for the proposal ( Panelists and Moderator, their degrees, positions, affiliation, country, and email address.
- One (1) Moderator is required for each proposal.
- Required for Panelists and Moderator. Submitters may fill out the disclosure form for Panelists or Moderator.
Description and Objective
- In 400 words or less, please provide a clear subject for debate, concise background information and descriptions of the diverse panelist’s perspective on the debate topic. State how the audience will be involved and the time to address the audience discussion.
- Review all information that has been entered
- Submit survey
If you have additional questions or need technical support, please contact Mr. Emre Köse, Scientific Programme Coordinator: firstname.lastname@example.org